News about Nathan and Heather Straz

Wednesday, 20 April, 2005
Smooth Surgery
by nate

Sorry for the late update. I wasn't able to find a free WiFi connection at the hospital and this morning the DSL cut out. But what you really wanted to know was that Heather's surgery went fine. Read on for more. We got to the hospital around 5:30am for a 5:45 admission. There were a ton of people there, at least 40 families, all checking in first thing in the morning.

After a short wait we were escorted upstairs where Heather changed into her gown and we waited for a while longer. Around 7:00 they took Heather away and left me in the waiting room. The family waiting rooms at Mayo are very nice. I sat there until about 8:00 before deciding to finally get breakfast.

Around 9:00 I was told by a surgery communicator that Heather had entered surgery, but didn't have a start time for me yet. At the same time they transferred me up to the the ICU waiting area on Mary-Brigh 8. Around 9:30 I was told that Heather started surgery at 9:20.

At 11:20 I was told that they started closing. I was amazed at how fast the surgery went. Little did I realize that closing takes a lot longer than openning. It wasn't until 1:20 that I learned the surgery was done and she was tranferred to recovery. It would still be a few hours before I could see Heather.

At 2:30 in the afternoon, Dr. Davis stopped by the waiting area and told me about the surgery. He said there were no complications and that the surgery went fine. Dr. Davis also said that the chiari malformation was much more pronounced in surgery than it showed in the MRI. He called it, "quite impressive."

It wasn't until about 3:45 that I was finally able to see my wife again. Heather was quiet, but talking. She was still in pain, but she wasn't nausious at all. I told her about all of the calls I made that day and passed on all of the good wishes. Before she went to bed she was able to drink some apple juice.


Joe Poulin said on Apr 20 at 09:14 p.m.:

Hey guys,

I am soo glad to hear that everything went well with the surgery. I didn't even realize that enything was going on until a week or two ago and was very shocked. It sounds like everything is going to work out and that is great. If there is anything that my wife and I can do (incase you didn't know Darcey and I got married this summer) please let us know and we will try to help out in any way that we can.

Best wishes and I am looking forward to hearing about the recovery and can't wait to hear from you, Heather, once you are well.

Hope all is well,
Joe and Darcey Poulin

Cousin Jennifer said on Apr 21 at 10:18 a.m.:

I am very happy to hear all went well, many many of my friends, myself included prayed for you Heather and you Nate and the doctors and nurses that took you in their care. We will continue praying for a healthy and pain-free recovery. I wish I was closer to you! Please keep in touch and I will continue to watch the site for updates. : )

God Bless!